of our Parish
Our Lady of Grace Church began its mission to the people of this area of San Antonio in the early 1930’s as a Mission Church of St. Mary’s Church downtown. Construction on the sanctuary began after purchasing property the Oblate Fathers at St. Anthony’s Seminary.
On July 30, 1952, St. Mary’s Chapel was elevated to Parish status and renamed Our Lady of Grace Parish with Father John Collins as the first Pastor. Father Collins oversaw the construction of the rectory, gymnasium, meeting rooms, nursery and bride’s room in the early 1950’s. In 1956, Bishop Steven A. Leven was appointed pastor of Our Lady of Grace. During his 13 years of service, Bishop Leven helped the religious education programs grow in strength and oversaw the refurbishment of the sanctuary.
In the 1970’s, under the leadership of Monsignor William C. Martin, V.G., the sanctuary was remodeled. This included the installation of the marble altar, new lectern, and stained glass and wood paneling. Also built during this time period, were the Madonna Room and the Youth Center. For more than 20 years, these buildings have played a very important role in the functioning of the Our Lady of Grace community.
Our past leaders of the parish include Reverend Monsignor Raymond Garcia (1983-1995), Reverend Monsignor Terrence Nolan (1995-1997), Reverend Monsignor Lawrence Walsh, (1997- 2013) and Father Martin Leopold, Administrator (2013-2014), Pastor (2014-2020).